Pages

Sunday 27 April 2014

Creamy Egg Curry

Creamy Egg Curry

I have Srinanda Sen (Denzy - my bestie) to thank for this light and easy recipe. Most of her recipes are low-cal because, unlike me, she is extremely health conscious. As we sat sipping on cup(s) of Twinings Assam at our 'tapri' (Le Meridien), we happened to discuss food and cooking. That's when she told me of this recipe. A recipe her mom used to regularly make at home. Babes, thank you for sharing this with me <3

Ingredients:

1 big onion
1 inch ginger
2-3 green chilies
½ liter milk
1-2 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
3 eggs, boiled and shelled
¼ teaspoon Bengali garam masala powder
A couple of sprigs coriander to garnish (optional)

Method:

  1. Grind the onion, ginger and chilies to a fine paste. (You may not need to use any water as the water from the onion will be quite enough)
  2. Heat oil. Add the ground paste and sauté well till the paste changes to a darker color and the onions are cooked.
  3. Take off from fire. After 2-3 minutes, gradually add warm milk and stir to blend the milk well with the fried onion/ginger/chilies paste.
  4. Put the vessel back on slow fire and allow it to heat up. Stir continuously.
  5. Let the gravy boil on low heat till you achieve the desired thick consistency for the gravy. (I prefer it thick and creamy because that is more delicious)
  6. When desired consistency is nearly achieved, make a small slits in the eggs and slide them into the curry.
  7. Allow the curry to simmer for a couple of minutes.
  8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice. 
Chef’s Note: 

  1. This is a mild flavored recipe. The flavors are subtle but the garam masala lifts the recipe to an aromatic high.
  2. The recipe calls for boiled eggs to be slit and then lowered into the curry but I cut them in half because I wanted to click colorful pics for my blog.
  3. For Bengali garam masala, grind equal amounts of cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to a powder. Bottle, store and use as and when needed.
  4. I was petrified that the milk would curdle but Denzy had reassured me it wouldn't. It didn't!
  5. This recipe is courtesy my bestie, Srinanda Sen (Denzy, to me).
  6. Not all my recipes are spicy, oily or complicated. I do cook light and easy food….. once in a while :P ;) 
  7. You may share the direct blog-link of the recipe/s but do NOT publish my recipes and my photographs on any blog-site or website without my explicit consent or attempt to pass off my recipe/s as your own. You will be held accountable for plagiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment